WHAT WE DOThe Building Inspections Department is responsible for:
- Administering Massachusetts General Law pertaining to building and building construction.
- Administering Massachusetts state building, electrical, plumbing, and gas codes.
- Administering Architectural Access Board regulations.
- Administering City ordinances as they relate to land use, construction, and occupancy and demolition of buildings and structures.
- Ensuring all construction, reconstruction, alterations, and repairs conform to the requirements of the City of Greenfield’s zoning ordinance, as well as the regulations and Massachusetts General Law of the Commonwealth.
- Conducting annual inspections on specified use groups in existing buildings (use groups specify how buildings are occupied and used).
POLICY FOR SUBMITTAL OF APPLICATIONS
Applications may be submitted by mail with payment to Building Inspections, City Hall, 14 Court Sq., Greenfield, MA 01301. Please make checks payable to City of Greenfield. You may also leave building, electrical, plumbing, and gas permit applications and payment in the mail slot by the entry door of our building at 20 Sanderson Street; the mail slot is accessible 24/7. If you need to speak with an inspector to discuss project questions, please call and set up a time to meet with them.
We endeavor to provide professional public safety services to residents of Greenfield through education, assistance, and enforcement. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions via email or by phone at 413-772-1404.