Housing Rehabilitation Program

The city of Greenfield runs a Housing Rehabilitation Program that provides 0%-interest, deferred loans to assist with the completion of necessary repairs to fix code compliance issues in single- and multi-family homes/apartments occupied by low/moderate-income households. The city has assisted over 78 property owners, for a total of over 165 LMI (low- and moderate-income) beneficiaries. By bringing these housing units up to code, this program assists in stabilizing falling property values and has a long-term impact on these homes. There is currently a waiting list.


Call or email to discuss your needs and the program requirements, and to review the application process.

Community and Economic Development Office
324 Main St., 2nd Floor Greenfield, MA 01301
413-772-1548, ext. 4


Deferred Payment Loans (DPL) are 0% interest loans that provide an affordable way for homeowners to bring their homes into code compliance, complete needed repairs, address lead hazards, and improve energy efficiency in their homes.

Income-eligible applicants who qualify for a full Deferred Payment Loan (DPL) can borrow up to $40,000.00 per unit (depending on severity of code violations). “Deferred Payment” means the homeowner will have no monthly loan payment. The loan amount is secured by a mortgage placed on the property, and the loan is due upon the sale or transfer of the property.


The city has received a grant for rehabilitating multifamily housing. Work that may be addressed through the Housing Rehabilitation program includes (but is not limited to):

  • Accessibility
  • Bathroom repair
  • Burner/furnace replacement
  • Carpentry
  • Ceiling/wall repair
  • Chimneys
  • Doors
  • Electrical work
  • Floors
  • Foundation repair
  • Handicap
  • Insulation/Ventilation
  • Joists
  • Lead Abatement
  • Painting
  • Plumbing
  • Pumps
  • Roofs
  • Septic Systems
  • Sheetrock
  • Sill Work
  • Storm Windows
  • Wells
  • Windows

Funding for these loans has been made possible through the Department of Housing & Community Development, Massachusetts Community Development Mini-Entitlement Block Grant Program, the USDA Home Preservation Grant Program, and Gateway Housing, all of which are administered by the city of Greenfield.


MassHousing offers loans for homeowners to refinance, remove dangerous lead paint, make improvements to your home, or help you upgrade a failing septic system. Learn more here.

USDA offers Section 504 Home Repair loans to very-low-income homeowners to repair, improve, or modernize their homes; and grants to elderly, very-low-income homeowners to remove health and safety hazards. Learn more here.


In accordance with Federal Civil Rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Civil Rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity (including gender expression), sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, family/parental status, income derived from a public assistance program, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity, in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA (not all bases apply to all programs). Remedies and complaint filing deadlines vary by program or incident.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the responsible Agency or USDA's TARGET Center at 202-720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at How to File a Program Discrimination Complaint and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call 866-632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: 202-690-7442; or

(3) email: program.intake@usda.gov.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer, and lender.


De acuerdo con la ley federal de derechos civiles y las reglamentaciones y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de Estados Unidos (U.S. Department of Agriculture, USDA), se prohíbe al USDA, sus agencias, oficinas y empleados, e instituciones que participan o administran los programas del USDA, discriminar por motivos de raza, color, origen nacional, religión, genero, identidad de genera (incluidas las expresiones degenero), orientación sexual, discapacidad, edad, estado civil, estado familiar/parental, ingresos derivados de un programa de asistencia pública, creencias políticas, o reprimendas o represalias por actividades previas sobre derechos civiles, en cualquier programa o actividad llevados a cabo o financiados por el USDA (no todas las bases se aplican a todos los programas). Las fechas limite para la presentación de remedios y denuncias varían segt1n el programa o el incidente.

Las personas con discapacidades que requieran medias alternativos de comunicación para obtener información sobre el programa (por ej., Braille, letra grande, cinta de audio, lenguaje americano de señas, etc.) deberán comunicarse con la Agencia responsable o con el Centro TARGET del USDA al 202-720-2600 (voz y TTY) o comunicarse con el USDA a través del Servicio Federal de Transmisiones al 800-877-8339. Asimismo, se puede disponer de información del programa en otros idiomas además de ingles.

Para presentar una denuncia por discriminación en el programa, complete el Formulario de denuncias por discriminación en el programa del USDA, AD-3027, que se encuentra en línea en http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, o en cualquier oficina del USDA, o escriba una carta dirigida al USDA e incluya en la carta toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Para solicitar una copia del formulario de denuncias, llame al 866-632-9992.

Envíe su formulario completado o su carta al USDA por los siguientes medias:

(1) correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) fax: 202-690-7442; o

(3) correo electrónico: program.intake@usda.gov.

EI Departamento de Agricultura de Estados Unidos (USDA) es un proveedor, empleador y prestador que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.