Public Safety Commission
Butch Hawkins, Chair
14 Court Square, Greenfield, MA 01301
Meeting Schedule: Last Wednesday of each month. 5:00 PM Police Dept. Meeting Room
No meetings currently scheduled.
5 of 5 seats. 3 years each seat.
- Michelle Laurie, Vice Chair. December, 2024.
- Susan White, Secretary. June, 2023.
- Butch Hawkins, Chair. December, 2024.
- Adam J. Provost. December, 2022.
- Frederick Clark. June, 2023.
(a) There shall he a Public Safety Commission consisting of five (5) members, all of whom shall be residents and registered voters of the Town, appointed by the Mayor subject to provisions of section 2-10.
(b) The commission shall elect annually at the first meeting in each calendar year a chairperson, vice chairperson and a secretary who shall keep a record of its meetings.
(c) The members shall serve 3-year staggered terms. Commission members shall serve without compensation.
(d) Powers and Duties: The commission shall assist the Mayor in the supervision and oversight of the police and fire departments, including the coordination of the administration of both departments with one another, and with other Town departments and agencies by making recommendations to the Mayor concerning:
- Setting priorities within said departments;
- The annual operating budgets of both departments, after the Mayor and commission have met with the chiefs to discuss the proposed budgets;
- The capital budget requests of both departments, after the Mayor and the commission have met with the chiefs to discuss the requests, provided, however, that commission members may only inspect the departments on an annual basis in connection with the budget review or in relation to a written complaint from the public. (Inspections shall be made only after approval from the chief has been obtained to insure it will not unduly disrupt department operations.)
- Final interviews for appointments and promotions of officers and men and women, in the police and fire department, shall be conducted by the commission and the chief. The chief shall submit his recommendations to the commission and the commission, if it does not agree with said recommendations, shall submit written reasons for not concurring with said recommendations to the Mayor. Appointments and promotions of public safety personnel shall be made in accordance with Civil Service Law and General Laws, and local hiring policy requirements as defined by the Mayor, respectively.
The operation of the police and fire departments, and the conduct of employees of both departments.
1. The Commission shall meet on a regular basis.
2. Special meetings may be called by the Mayor, Chairman of the Commission or majority vote of the Commission,
3. Minutes shall be kept of all public meetings,
4. The Commission may establish its own rules of procedure including those governing the conduct of its meetings.
(g) In the event of a vacancy, the Mayor shall make an appointment for the balance of said term subject to Town Council approval pursuant to section 2-10.
- Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- Police Dept. Meeting Room 321 High Street
- Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- Hybrid: Zoom and City Hall Meeting Room (Room 203)
- Wed, Jun 29, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- Hybrid: Zoom and City Hall Meeting Room (Room 203)
- Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- Zoom
- Wed, Jun 1, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- WebX City of Greenfield
- Wed, May 25, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- Police Dept. Meeting Room 321 High Street
- Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- Police Dept. Meeting Room 321 High Street
- Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- WebX City of Greenfield
- Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 04:00 PM
- Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 04:00 PM -- WebX City of Greenfield
- Show 44 More...