Public Safety Commission
WHAT WE DO
The Public Safety Commission's work includes:
- Reviewing all departments polices and procedures and makes recommended changes.
- Reviewing all formal complaints of the departments and personnel as outlined in the city charter.
- Setting priorities within said departments.
- Reviewing annual operating budgets of both departments, after the Mayor and commission have met with the chiefs to discuss the proposed budgets;
- Reviewing capital budget requests of both departments, after the Mayor and the commission have met with the chiefs to discuss the requests, provided, however, that commission members may only inspect the departments on an annual basis in connection with the budget review or in relation to a written complaint from the public. (Inspections shall be made only after approval from the chief has been obtained to insure it will not unduly disrupt department operations.)
- Final interviews for appointments and promotions of officers and men and women, in the police and fire department, shall be conducted by the commission and the chief. The chief shall submit his recommendations to the commission and the commission, if it does not agree with said recommendations, shall submit written reasons for not concurring with said recommendations to the Mayor. Appointments and promotions of public safety personnel shall be made in accordance with Civil Service Law and General Laws, and local hiring policy requirements as defined by the Mayor, respectively.
The commission operates under Section 6-11 of the City Charter.
The commission meets the fourth Wednesday of each month at 6 p.m. at the John Zon Community Center, 35 Pleasant St., Greenfield, MA 01301 and via Zoom (hybrid meeting). Please check the calendar for scheduled meeting information, including agendas and Zoom links.
|PUBLIC SAFETY COMMISSION|
|Five seats / Three-year terms|
|David Moscaritolo, chair||December 2024|
|Frederick Clark||June 2023|
|Ed Jarvis||December 2025|
|David Lanoie||December 2025|
|Staff contact: Mayor's Office / 413-772-1560||City Hall, 14 Court Sq., Greenfield, MA 01301|