Winter Snow Removal Reminders
The Greenfield Department of Public Works would like to request the help of our residents in keeping our Town functioning well during the snow season:
- WINTER PARKING BAN: Annually on December 1st the Town’s winter parking ban goes into effect and continues through April 1st. Generally the ban prohibits parking on the south and east side of any street. Parking is allowed on both sides of Main St, Federal St, Bank Row and all metered spots for all hours except between 1:00 AM to 6:00 AM. Between 1:00 AM and 6:00 AM no on street parking is allowed anywhere in town. All parking lots can be used during the day and evening hours. However, there is no parking in these lots between 1:00 AM and 6:00 AM, except for designated areas in the Hope Street Lot and Downtown Economy Lot (between Chapman and Davis Street).
- TRASH & RECYCLING: When putting out trash and recyclables, remember that the bags and recycling bin must be accessible (for efficient collections) from the street side of the snow bank. In most cases a “shelf” can be easily shoveled into the snowbank to provide a suitable spot for the containers or the bags and bins can be placed at the end of the driveway. Trash and recycling located on the sidewalk behind snow banks will not be collected.
- SIDEWALKS: Property owners that abut public sidewalks are responsible for the removal of snow from sidewalks within 24 hours after the end of the snowfall as set forth in Town ordinance 159-16.
- FIRE HYDRANTS: For neighborhood safety, property owners that abut public fire hydrants should remove a 2 foot wide path of snow to and around the hydrant within 24 hours after the end of the snowfall as set forth in Town ordinance 159-25.
- DRIVEWAYS: When clearing your driveway of snow place the snow on the right hand side of your driveway as you face the road (i.e. the “downstream” side) so snow will not redeposited in your driveway on the next pass. Do not leave windrows of snow in the road as they present safety risks to our plow drivers and the travelling public.
The Department of Public Works thanks all of our customers for help in these matters.