Department of Public Works
189 Wells Street, Greenfield, MA 01301
Monday - Friday, 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Water or Sewer Emergency Response
- 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. call DPW at 413-772-1528
- 5 p.m. – 7 a.m. call DPW at 413-772-1528 and press #3. This call will go to Central Dispatch and will be responded to immediately.
- If the DPW phones are not working, please call Central Dispatch at 413-773-5411 and they will be able to contact us.
WATER AND SEWER RATES
- Water Rate: $3.72 per 100 cubic feet
- Sewer Rate: $6.10 per 100 cubic feet
Billing Period: Every Six Months
Water Distribution and Water Facilities Divisions
The Water Distribution and Water Facilities Divisions are responsible for the operation and maintenance of the city’s water supply, treatment and distribution operations, including:
- a reservoir and river water supply,
- 2 filtration plants,
- well field and corrosion control facilities,
- storage tanks,
- 5,697 water services,
- 103 miles of water mains, and
- 1,029 fire hydrants.
The Water Division is also responsible for reading meters, processing monthly water and sewer bills, installation and maintenance of water meters, and hydrant flushing.
FREE WATER LEAK AND WATER ANALYSIS
The Division provides free leak checks to any water user to be certain water is not being wasted and to help decrease user’s water bills. Contact 772-1528 to schedule a leak check. In addition, the City provides free water analysis for lead and some other parameters. For more information contact the Water Facilities Division at 772-1539.
Sewer, Drainage, and Wastewater Treatment Division
The Sewer/Drainage/Wastewater Treatment Division is responsible for the operation and maintenance of:
- 70.25 miles of sewer mains,
- 4,632 sewer services, and
- catch basins throughout the 120 miles of roadway in Greenfield.
Sewage is treated at the City’s Water Pollution Control Facility at 384 Deerfield St to Class B water quality standards and discharged to the Deerfield River.
SEWER BACK-UP AND PREVENTATIVE FLUSHING
There is no charge for clearing a backed up sewer line. Preventive flushing is available during regular hours, 7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. There is a $100 fee for this service. Contact 772-1528 to schedule an appointment.
SEWAGE NOTIFICATION PUBLIC PORTAL
The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection tracks all sewage discharge and overflow events. The Sewage Notification Data System is updated within 24 hours of when a public advisory notification is issued.
Posted: Tue, Sep 29, 2015 05:09 PM
Updated Fri, Jul 1, 2022 12:00 AM