Pay As You Throw (PAYT) Trash Collection
Since July 1, 2005, Greenfield has been a pay-as-you-throw trash collection community. Greenfield offers weekly curbside pick-up of pre-paid bags or stickers.
PAYT provides residents an opportunity to save money on their trash bills and promotes:
- Increased Fairness. Residents pay only for the amount of trash they generate. Households generating less trash pay less than households that generate more.
- Increased Recycling and Composting. As residents come to understand that trash disposal costs more than recycling, they are more likely to recycle and compost more. Implementation of a PAYT program, in conjunction with a curbside recycling program, increases a community's recycling rate.
- Decreased Solid Waste. In addition, PAYT decreases a community's residential trash generation rate.
- Improved Environmental Quality. By diverting waste from disposal, PAYT programs extend the life of landfills, decrease air pollution from trash incinerators, and reduce the need for new disposal facilities. As communities turn to reuse, recycling, and composting, natural resources, such as land, air, and water, are protected and preserved.
PAYT Trash Collection Policies
- Residents can use any color or brand of bag they wish – “cinch” bags, “ultra flex”, scented etc.
- Bags are to be drawn closed and the sticker is to be placed around the “neck” of the bag.
- The stickers clearly state the size and weight limits. If someone attempts to use a large bag (30-33 gallons) and only puts the 13 gallon ($1.25 sticker) on it, the collectors will not collect the bag. In fairness to all, this policy is strictly enforced.
- Bags larger than 33 gallons and “contractor” bags will not be collected.
- No bag, regardless of size, will be collected if it weighs over 30 pounds. In order to prevent injury, the 30 pound weight limit must be observed, as the collectors make 450-550 stops per day.
Pre-Paid Bag and Sticker Prices
||Price Per Gallon
|8 Gallon Bag (10 pack)
Please remember there is a 30 pound weight limit for all bags and containers. All bags must be at the curbside by 7 a.m. on day indicated for your street. See the Trash and Recycling Collection Schedule >>
Stickers and bags are available at the following locations:
- Big Y
- Country Mart at 49 Main Street
- Cumberland Farms Federal Street
- Greenfield Farmer’s Coop
- Greenfield Market
- Leader Home Center
- Ryan and Casey Liquor Store
- Ruggeri’s Package Store
- Sandri’s Stop Smart - 295 Federal Street
- Sandri’s Stop Smart - 416 Federal Street
- Stop and Shop
- Town Hall – Room 105
Posted: Wed, Jan 18, 2017 04:56 PM
Updated Thu, Apr 7, 2022 12:00 AM