Can I purchase creditable service earned in another Massachusetts public retirement system?

If you were a member of another retirement system subject to the provisions of M.G.L., Chapter 32, and you withdrew your retirement funds, it is possible to buy back your prior creditable service. The Retirement office will verify your prior service, then calculate the amount of your buyback. You must repay the amount withdrawn, plus interest, to the date of repayment. You may complete a buyback as a lump-sum payment, pre-tax rollover, or through payroll deduction over a five-year period.

Appears in: Retirement Board FAQs

Calendar of Events
Mon, Oct 3, 2022, 6:00 pm
Posted to: Human Rights
Tue, Oct 4, 2022, 9:00 am - 11:00 am
14 Court Square, 2nd Fl Meeting Room
Posted to: Assessor’s Office
Tue, Oct 4, 2022, 6:00 pm
via Zoom (link will be posted on the agenda)
Posted to: City Council