What To Do If Your Motor Vehicle is Sold

If an excise bill is received for a vehicle or trailer which has been sold, the seller must return the plate(s) to the Registry of Motor Vehicles, get a return plate receipt, and file an application for abatement together with the return plate receipt and the bill of sale with the Board of Assessors. The bill will be adjusted to reflect the portion of the year when the vehicle was owned by the recipient of the bill. It is important to remember that the bill for a vehicle you no longer own should not be ignored.

Appears in: Motor Vehicle Excise Taxes FAQs

Calendar of Events
Mon, Jun 21, 2021, 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Posted to: Public Safety Comm.
GHA - Regular Meeting -- SCHEDULED
Tue, Jun 22, 2021, 4:30 pm
Oak Courts Community Room – 7 Oak Courts – Greenfield, MA
Posted to: Housing Authority
Tue, Jun 22, 2021, 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm