WHAT WE DO
The tax collector is responsible for:
- Issuing and collecting real estate, personal property, and excise taxes in accordance with Massachusetts General Law.
- Collecting payments for water/sewer bills.
- Collecting payments for parking tickets.
- Selling annual and monthly parking permits.
- Selling trash stickers and mini bags.
- Selling burn permits (during the burning season).
- Issuing Municipal Lien Certificates.
- Creating refunds for overpayment and abatement of tax bills.
The treasurer is responsible for:
- Being the custodian of all monies belonging to the City.
- Processing payroll and accounts payable checks.
- Resolving tax titles.
- Being the custodian of all foreclosed property.
- Holding auctions for tax foreclosure properties when needed.
- Acting as administrator of all trust, scholarship and special funds.
- Acting as treasurer for the Greenfield Contributory Retirement System.
- Issuing both short- and long-term debt for the City.