Greenfield Opens Cooling Centers Due to Heat Advisory From 7-27 to 7-29
There are several cooling centers located throughout Greenfield. The list includes:
• John Zon Community Center (35 Pleasant Street): Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
• Greenfield Housing Authority Community Room (1 Elm Terrace): Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
• Oak Courts Common Room (Oak Courts, off of Elm Street): Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
• Greenfield Public Library (412 Main Street): Monday-Friday 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturday 9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
• Greenfield City Hall (14 Court Square): Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Individuals can also find cooling centers in other communities by calling 211. Everyone is urged to take steps to prevent heat-related illnesses and injuries, including:
• Never leave children or pets alone in a closed vehicle. Even with the windows cracked open, interior temperatures can rise almost 20°F within 10 minutes.
• Slow down and avoid strenuous activity.
• Wear lightweight, loose-fitting, light-colored clothing. Light colors reflect heat and sunlight and help maintain normal body temperature.
• Drink plenty of water — even if you are not thirsty. Avoid alcoholic beverages and liquids high in sugar or caffeine. If your doctor generally limits the amount of fluid you drink, ask how much you should drink during hot weather.
• Stay indoors as much as possible and limit exposure to the sun. Do not leave pets outside for extended periods of time.
• If you must be outdoors, limit your outdoor activity to the morning and evening hours. Try to rest often in shady areas so your body temperature will have a chance to recover. Use sunscreen with a high SPF and wear a wide-brimmed hat.
• Eat light, well-balanced meals.